These days, Fords Of Winsford is often the main reason that people have even heard of Winsford. The TV and radio adverts attract massive amounts of visitors to the car supermarket on Weaver Valley Road which will have a knock on effect for other businesses in the town. In fact, FOW generated over £200million of sales in their most recent accounts.
The business began in 1959 in Holmes Chapel. Farmer Vernon Ford started selling used cars from his dairy farm. As the business grew by the 1980s it was ready for massive expansion. Ford’s son, Paul, and son-in-law Graham Bell, had joined the business and they identified a site in Winsford which offered room for 700 cars. The site was on Wharton Road on the site which was recently vacated by Car Transplants on the corner of Wharton Road and Nat Lane. It opened in 1987.
In 1996 it was time to move again. A site across from Morrisons, on the old Winsford Common-land, was available. Other businesses had set up there (Wharton Park ‘Brewers Fayre’, Arnold Clark and Focus DIY) but the Fords Of Winsford site would dwarf these. It was 14-acre purpose-built site. It remains there today but signs have been erected to show they have acquired land in order to expand even further.
You can read more about the history of Fords Of Winsford here.